three most common reasons people will neglect the California registration process.
1. People are unaware of California registration laws.
2. People are evading payments of registration fees and taxes.
3. People are unable to comply with air pollution control laws.
When filing a report, please include the following information:
- State or province in which vehicle is registered. Mexican plates cannot be investigated without a physical address where the vehicle’s owner resides.
- Vehicle license number
- Date and time the vehicle was observed
- Make, model and color of the vehicle
- Location where the vehicle was observed (street(s) and city)
- Any additional comments and descriptive information
The State of California loses millions of dollars of revenue every year from California residents who neglect to register their vehicles in California. California residents with vehicles registered outside of the state don’t contribute to the upkeep of the freeways and bridges they use. The Officers and senior volunteers within the California Highway Patrol Registration Enforcement and Guidance (CHP REG) Program are dedicated to assisting the public with California registration compliance.
A California resident, for purposes of vehicle registration, is any person who manifests an intent to live or be located in this State on more than a temporary or transient basis. California law permits only 20 days to complete the process of registering your vehicle.